Wednesday, July 31, 2013
For many people, the cold clear days of winter bring more than just a rosy glow to the cheeks. They also bring uncomfortable dryness to the skin of the face, hands, and feet. Here are our top 5 tips to looking after your skin during the winter season.
- Seek a Specialist, to analyse your skin type, trouble shoot your current skin care regimen and get advice on the right skin care products you should be using.
- Increase Your Hydration and Moisturise, you may have found a moisturiser that works just fine in spring and summer. But as weather conditions change, so, too, should your skin care routine. Find an oil based moisturiser, rather than a water based one, as the oil will create a protective layer on the skin, this retains more moisture than a cream or lotion. Look for non clogging oils, like avocado oil, mineral oil, primrose oil or almond oil. Our Dr Spiller skin care range offered through our Medispa Face Plus have an amazing selection of products that specialise in hydration and moisture retention. Lastly, drink more water and choose more water based foods in your diet.
- Slather on sunscreen, sunscreen isn’t just for summertime. Winter sun can still damage your skin, especially if you are out skiing or doing active sports. Get in the habit of using sunscreen daily, Omniderm Sun Protect has Micronised Zinc, no chemical filters, ultra hydrating formula, hypo- allergenic, Antioxidant Vitamin E, available in clinic for $55.00. A great all season purchase.
- Pace The Peels, If your skin is uncomfortably dry, avoid using harsh peels, acids, or alcohol based toners, all of which can strip your vital oil from your skin. Instead, try using a gentle cleansing milk and toner with no alcohol. Try a deeply hydrating facial mask opposed to a clay mask that draws all the moisture from the skin.
- Ban HOT baths, sure, soaking in a burning hot bath feels great after being out in the cold. But the intense heat of a hot shower or bath actually breaks down the lipid barriers of the skin, which can lead to a loss of moisture and also increase conditions such as rosacea. Your better off with a warm bath staying in a shorter amount of time.
For more information on treatments and products listed above, call Face Plus Medispa on (02) 8897 0000